Big news, mobile WORK[etc] beta 1 is now ready.
From today a fully optimized mobile version of WORK[etc] is available for access on all web-enabled mobile phones.
Firstly, just to recap on our mobile strategy:
- Today:Make available the most important modules through mobile web interface. Compatible with all mobile handsets
- Later this month: Release the native Google Android app
- Early next month: Release the native Apple iOS app. Timing on this could be pushed out depending on how long Apple takes to authorize the app
- Loop back to the start, complete the remaining 3 modules and release on all platforms
- Address any bugs on all platforms and release
- Consider developing for Blackberry and Microsoft Phones
Secondly, some notes on being beta:
- Although it is still a beta, we’re making this available to everyone.
- I’m confident it is stable, but Beta means there will be bugs and issues.
- Some screen are slow, some are lightning fast. We’re working on making everything lightning fast.
How we’re supporting the mobile beta
We won’t be able to do any support for the mobile version (yet). Its a beta, it is going to have bugs and we’ll be doing almost daily releases. So, any questions or bug issues related to mobile editions need to be voiced through the community forums here:
http://admin.worketc.com/Community/Forums?Forum=14 – please remember to tag your post with Android, iOS or Mobile Web.
The mobile version is essentially a stripped back version of the core web application, built on top of the existing WORK[etc] API.
We’ve stripped back features because to be honest trying to do some of the more complex tasks WORK[etc] can manage, on a smaller screen size, is just going to be painful. And of course we have to make it all work within the confines of significantly less processing power and slower bandwidth than the average PC has. Real tricky.
Mobile WORK[etc] is designed to access data and do brief updates when away from your desk. It isn’t designed to run your entire business from!
So for this first beta release, the following tools and functionality are ready. Oh – and the screen shots below were taken from my iPhone 3GS:
Where to find it… 🙂
Getting hold of the beta is real simple; Power up the web browser on your phone and go to your normal WORK[etc] account location (ie http://yourbusiness.worketc.com).
So – feel free to comment below (we really appreciate the boost) but direct any support issues here. And if you like it, Google +1 us just to the left.